food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Monday, July 30, 2012

Gnocchi with Goat Cheese Sauce

Hi everyone!

Still in mexico, and still cooking away. Today I'm going to share a recipe that I made up completely on the fly, getting the idea from ingredients we had on hand. I also came up with what I think is quite a trick in terms of steaming the broccoli and cauliflower we had on the side. Let's get to it!

Here's what I did with the broccoli and cauliflower- I chopped off the stems in thick chunks and laid them in the bottom of the pan. I added water about halfway up the stems, then put the broccoli and cauliflower florets on top and steamed away- worked perfectly!
Here's the broccoli and cauliflower set-up.
Here are all my ingredients for the gnocchi and cheese sauce.
Here's the beginning of the roux for the cheese sauce- make the roux, and add milk, cheese, and seasonings!

And here's the gnocchi on the left, and the finished cheese sauce on the right, staying warm.

Goat Cheese Sauce
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-2 cups milk
-4 oz. of goat cheese- your choice
-salt and pepper to season
-optional: chopped, toasted walnuts for topping.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add the flour and whisk together. Let bubble and thicken a little, but do not let burn. Add the milk and let the sauce thicken slightly. Add the goat cheese and seasoning, then cook until the sauce is the consistency you like- feel free to add more milk, etc. Top your boiled gnocchi or pasta with the sauce, and sprinkle with walnuts if using.


What I did here was make the above sauce, boil some gnocchi (about 2 minutes), and steam some broccoli and cauliflower- what a great meal!

The finished meal!


Savor it,
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment