food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Monday, March 11, 2013

Chili (homemade, easy, full of flavor!)

OK, confession time again. Remember when I made Red Beans and Rice for the first time not too long ago? I have actually never made legit Chili before either. Yes, I've made it with what ingredients I could cobble together in the co-op and other times, but this is the first time I've made my Chili- a cross between some creative spices and suggestions and my mom's recipe that she's made for us all my life. And I have to say, it's some of the best chili I've ever had. Let's get started, this stuff is fantastic!!

Start by browning up your ground beef and spooning off what you can of the fat.
Saute your chopped onions and celery, add the garlic about 2/3 of the way through.
You're done sauteing when the onions and celery have begun to soften. Then you're ready to add the rest!
Add in the ground beef, then two cans of tomatoes...
And two cans of beans, with the water.
Add all of your spices, molasses, and beer, and here's what you have- more soupy than chili texture, right?
Well, just let that baby simmer! here it is about halfway through the time I let it cook- it is good to eat at this point, but not quite at chili status.
After a few more hours simmering on the stovetop, you've got a thickened, spiced, delicious chili that you can enjoy however you do chili- as you can see below, I favor it in a tortilla with cheese and sour cream!


Chili
-approx. 1 lb. ground beef
-a few tablespoons olive oil
-2 onions, chopped
-4 stalks celery, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-2 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes and juice
-2 16 oz. cans beans for chili with water
-2 tablespoons chili powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
-1 teaspoon oregano
-1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
-1 1/2+ teaspoons salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-1 tablespoon cocoa
-1 bay leaf (remove just before serving)
-1/4 cup molasses
-1 beer (12 oz.)
Brown the ground beef.
In your big soup pot, add some olive oil and the onions and celery. Saute then add the garlic towards the end.
Pour in your cans of tomatoes and beans, the beer, molasses, and all the spices. Feel free to play with the spices, adding or subtracting as you prefer- but taste as you go along! This is the best way to know what you're making your dish taste like!
Let simmer for several hours until thickened and combined. Try to mash a few of the beans along the way too (next time I might try mashing one of the cans of beans before I add it).
Serve in tortillas with cheese and sour cream.


My Chili- you've gotta try the tortilla, it's perfect- just remember to fold up the bottom and keep a napkin handy!

Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment