food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Sides! (cornbread, Yorkshire pudding, and mashed potatoes!)

Hello all!!

I had a great thanksgiving with lots of delicious food, and I hope that you did too! If not, every day is an occasion to eat fantastically, so take a look at these side dishes we made! The first is caramelized onion and apple and honey cornbread, then classic mashed potatoes, then the Yorkshire pudding (which went with the standing rib roast we had! but alas, I have no pictures of).

First, my sister Dare made the cornbread. She asked us to decide between a few off-beat cornbread recipes and my mom and I voted for this one. It made an absolutely delicious and moist cornbread that was as delicious as leftovers as it was for dinner!


here's the link for the recipe for the cornbread, as I didn't make it!
http://cooking-books.blogspot.com/2011/03/honey-caramelized-onions-and-apples.html


Second, the mashed potatoes. These are really, really simple but so tasty! I quartered some red potatoes, boiled them until fork-tender, then mashed them up with butter, milk, and cream then topped it off with salt and pepper. Feel free to make them classic like these, or to add cheese or some spiciness or whatever you feel like!







Third, the Yorkshire pudding! This is possibly one of my most favorite foods in the world (apologies if I have posted about it before- one forgets!). It's basically a thin batter and beef fat cooked to great heights! It's fantastic. Here's the recipe from my mom.

Yorkshire pudding, a culinary delicacy
-3 eggs
-1 cup milk
-3/4 C flour
-1/2 t salt
Mix these up well beforehand and chill. Doesn’t need beating, my mom made it in a big shaker.
When the roast is done, put about 1/2 c drippings and beef fat in a 13 x 9 pan. Put the pan and drippings in a450 oven for 5-10 min until it is smoking hot. Then pour the egg mixture into the middle of the pan and quick put it back into the oven. Check after 15 min but try to get to 20 — 25 min so the inside part is done. Cut into big squares and serve hot. This is actually better than the meat itself.


Here's the billowing Yorkshire pudding- it's like a giant popover!


Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment