food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Chocolate Waffles

Hey there everyone!

This is something I've been wanting to make ever since my first year of college (quite a while ago now!). That spring, my Mom came out to visit me at school and we stayed at a B&B for the weekend- breakfast was chocolate waffles. Ever since then they've lived legendarily in the back of my mind, but with Jordan's help, I finally put it into practice! I looked for recipes all over the place, and they varied wildly, so I decided to take what I had learned from the other recipes and modify the Fannie Farmer Special Waffles recipe that I use most often. Here are the results! Chocolatey and waffley and delicious. Let's get started!

The start of the recipe: milk, eggs, and butter mixture with dry ingredients on top.
Here's the batter mixed up, but without the egg whites.
Mix in a 1/3 of the whites, then fold in the rest.
Your finished batter- isn't it beautiful?
Make in your favorite waffle maker (or the one you have!)- I used my Belgian one.


Chocolate Waffles
-3 eggs, separated
-1 3/4 cups milk
-4 tablespoons butter, melted
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cups flour
-1/2 cup cocoa
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-6-7 tablespoons white sugar
Beat yolks lightly, then whisk in milk and butter. Mix in the vanilla.
Add in all the dry ingredients (not including sugar!), and mix well.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, adding the sugar in at the very end.
Whisk 1/3 of the whites into the batter, and fold the rest in.
Make in your favorite waffle maker and enjoy! Customize however you like.


Finished waffles! They are so chocolatey and delicious- I hope you try!!

Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment