food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Special Waffles

This is a recipe that I have been enjoying for as long as I can remember. It comes from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook originally, and I think that about 90% of the waffles I've ever eaten have been some version of this recipe. My boyfriend gifted me a beautiful belgian waffle maker for christmas, and I was so excited to give it a shot that I decided to blog about waffles instead of scones! They might be coming later.The key in these waffles is the separation of the eggs and the beating of the whites- it adds so much lightness and volume to the waffles and makes them just delectable!


First, here is the batter in the bottom bowl, and the whites whipping up in my mixer above.


And here are the whites being carefully folded in with a spatula- this is what makes these waffles special.


Special Waffles
-3 eggs, separated
-1 3/4 cups milk
-4 tablespoons butter, melted
-2 cups flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-3 T sugar
Beat the yolks lightly, then add the milk and butter while whisking. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk in well. In the meantime, beat the egg whites in a mixer until stiff peaks form, then add in the sugar. Whisk 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the rest.
Make in your favorite waffle maker and enjoy!! Feel free to add fruit, chocolate chips, or other add-ins or toppings!




Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment