food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sugared Nuts

This is yet another recipe that came to me through my beloved Vovo. She made them all through my childhood, and I still make them to this day, and they're gobbled up every single time! These nuts are basically pecans in meringue baked in butter- so good. These are simple and tasty- and are definitely a protein because of the egg whites and pecans- health food, people!!

Anyway, over my years of making this recipe (that I'm sure will continue as long as I live), I've made my own modifications to the recipe, and I present you with my version below. The original used a little less cinnamon and half as many egg whites, but I like it just the way it is below- and definitely don't skimp on the butter, it's totally worth it!


Here are the toasted nuts, cooling, and the beaten egg whites (a bit difficult to photograph!).


Here is the nut and meringue mixture on the baking sheet, ready to go into the oven.


And here are some of the finished nuts- break into pieces after making to make eating more manageable!


Sugared Nuts
-1 tablespoon butter
-1 lb. pecan halves
-4 egg whites
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
Melt the tablespoon of butter in a baking sheet with sides; add the pecans and toast lightly about 20 minutes at 325 F, let cool.
Mix sugar, salt, and cinnamon together. Beat egg whites until fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar mixture. Fold in the cooled pecans.
Melt 1/4 cup butter in the same pan as before. Spread the nut/egg white mixture on the pan. Brown for about 40 minutes at 325 F, turning once. Let cool and enjoy!!!!


I hope you Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment