food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Molasses Cookies

Molasses cookies are one of my absolute favorites- chewy, moist, and spicy, and, like most things I have posted about and will post about, they are so easy! This recipe came to me through my Grandmother, though I've heard that it's origin may be the back of the Brer Rabbit Molasses jar. Molasses cookies have always been included in the christmas celebrations in my life; first made by my grandmother when I was a child, and now made by either my sister, my mother, or myself each holiday season. Even though the holidays are over, give them a shot- they're just the thing for a cold or gray day!


The cookie dough, chilled and ready to be rolled!


The cookie dough balls on the sheet, and flattened just a tad.


Molasses Cookies Recipe
-3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
-1 cup white sugar
-1/4 cup molasses
-1 egg
-2 cups flour
-2 teaspoons baking soda
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon cloves
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon allspice
Beat together the butter, sugar, molasses, and egg. Then mix in all of the dry ingredients. Chill for 1 hour, then roll the dough into balls. Then roll the balls in white sugar, place them on an ungreased baking sheet, then flatten slightly. Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes. Bake only one sheet of cookies at a time- this helps achieve the slight 'cracking' you see on top of the cookies.



The finished cookies- enjoy!!

Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment