food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mom's Sugar Cookies

I've decorated these cookies since I was able to hold things in my hands, though I've certainly improved in my skills since then! My grandmother Vovo always made these cookies at Christmas time, and my cousins and I always gathered at her house to decorate all the cookies. These are simple sugar cookies that nonetheless are able to hold top spot as the most favored cookies of Christmas by many members of my family (and in my family, that's saying something- some years we've made 15 kinds!).

So, this season I got to have these cookies twice- my Mom made them for Christmas and we decorated them with some of my extended family; and I made them here at school and had my friends help me decorate them today- a great way to share a tradition, and have more cookies!


Here are the rolled out cookies on cookie sheets!


And here are the baked cookies- don't let them brown or they'll be overdone!


And the usual table setup for decorating- lots of colors, sprinkles, etc.- have fun with it!


And here are some examples of decorating- and remember, if you break one, you have to eat it!


Mom's Sugar Cookies
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup butter, softened
-2 eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 tablespoon milk
-2 teaspoons cream of tartar
-2 to 3 cups flour
Mix all ingredients, and refrigerate before rolling out and cutting into shapes with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 F for 7-8 minutes, until just beginning to brown on the edges. Once cooled, ice with confectioner's sugar icing, making sure to add vanilla and make as many colors as you'd like!



Enjoy!

Savor it!
love, rue

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow I can't believe you did this ... and I wasn't there to decorate and EAT them! Saw Helena's blog and looks like it was a great time.
    These cookies are of course masterpieces of design and taste jejeje
    I personally can't do without redhots for decoration.
    Love YOU

    mom
    PS maybe I should add that I got this recipe from my mother, who got it from my dad's mother, Mary Diehl.

    ReplyDelete