food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lemon Curd Sticky Buns

Sticky buns are just one of the wonderful traditions I have experienced in my life: each and every Christmas (and now, Ustivus) morning, my Mom bakes up a batch of the best sticky buns that I've ever had- I can't even match her! However, after I received a box from my mom in the mail which contained lemon curd, I just couldn't wait to do something with it, and combining the lemon curd with sticky buns was my winning combination.

rolls in process: with filling, in the pan!














rolls out of the oven!


rolls turned out onto foil (makes for the easiest cleanup!)



I used this dough recipe, which, in true Mennonite tradition, includes minimal instructions:

Sticky Bun Dough
-1 packet yeast
-1/4 cup lukewarm water
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 egg
-3 tablespoons butter
-3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-3/4 cup lukewarm milk

The recipe says to let rise twice. I'll also add my usual technique-
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water
Let the butter soften and the milk come to room temperature
Then just mix it all up and give it a few good kneads.
Place in a warm place in an oiled bowl, and after it has doubled in size, punch it down- repeat.
Once the rising is done, roll the dough out into a rectangle so that you can add the filling.

Then comes adding the filling! In traditional sticky buns, this would be butter and cinnamon and sugar, with corn syrup and molasses and brown sugar and butter in the pan, but for these:

The Filling:
-lemon curd
-sprinkle of sugar
-drizzle of butter

In the pan (9'' x 13'' or equivalent(s)):
-lemon curd
-butter
-sugar
-lemon juice (i just put a bit)

And then bake them up at about 375 F or so, for about 45 minutes- just keep an eye on them and take them out when they're nice and browned on the top! My goal with food is to be fun and flexible, so don't worry if you mess up or if you've even never tried something before. Precise measurements and techniques aren't really my thing, so take my ideas and give them your own spin- these rolls have a myriad of options in terms of filling, and make a fantastic breakfast treat- my housemates were delighted when I made these!



Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment