food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce (easier than it sounds!)

Penne with tomato cream sauce is one of the simplest and most delicious dishes that I can make in under 30 minutes. It is quick and easy and SO delicious! My housemates gave rave reviews when I made this last night for dinner. This isn't a recipe I grew up with, so I'm making a little bit of a departure on this one- I guess I'm showing what I've been able to teach myself after learning (almost all of) my food knowledge from my Mother and Grandmother.


Here are the onions and garlic, sauteing up in the olive oil and butter.


And here's the finished sauce- creamy and delicious!


Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce
-1 pound penne pasta
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 cup white wine (or chicken or vegetable broth)
-1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
-1 cup heavy cream
-fresh parsley, to taste
-fresh basil, to taste
-salt and pepper to taste

Start by sauteing the onions in the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Once they are softened and a little browned, add the garlic and saute a few minutes longer. Add the wine, then the tomato sauce, then the heavy cream, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. The sauce will thicken a little, and right before serving, cut up or chiffonade the parsley and basil and throw them in the sauce- the more the better in my opinion!
Meanwhile, boil up that pound of penne, and when everything is ready, just mix the penne and the sauce and you're ready to enjoy!

Feel free to add whatever you would like to this dish- a few veggies, some shrimp, or different herbs- take it and make it your own! I guarantee you'll enjoy it.



Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment