food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Maple Buttermilk Pie

I quickly whipped up this pie yesterday while trying to keep our oven from smoking copiously (something which might keep me from blogging for a little while until it gets fixed!). I used a pre-made pie crust, bre-baked it, whipped up the filling, and baked it and it is delicious. It's creamy and custardy, and there's really only one thing I would change if I were to make it again- I would leave out the lemon zest, as I don't feel it is necessary, though you are certainly welcome to take this pie in any direction you choose! I have a lot of ideas about different flavors, etc.


Here's the unbaked pie shell...


And the baked pie shell.


And the yummy filling to go inside...


And the beautiful pie all baked up!


Maple Buttermilk Pie
-one pie crust, pre-baked at 375 F for 20 minutes
-zest of one lemon (optional!!! I found it a little overpowering)
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-6 egg yolks
-1/4 cup flour
-2/3 cup maple syrup (pref. grade b)
-2 cups buttermilk
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
Pre-bake pie crust, then whip up filling, add to pie crust, then bake 1 hour at 325 F.
Chill completely before slicing!







Here's the finished pie, all ready to be eaten.
Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment