food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Muffins

Hi again!

So, this isn't my recipe. My mom pointed me in the direction of the link below, and I made the muffins and they were fantastic- no tweaking required. As you can see below, I took a lazy shortcut and put my cream cheese filling on top of the cupcakes instead of inside- still delish! Bottom line, these are fabulous, and you should totally give them a try- they've already been tested in two countries! (My mom lives in MX and has made these a few times- including for a neighborhood gathering of Mexicans and Gringos alike in order to meet the new mayor and cut the ribbon on the opening (or really the finishing!) of the new street they put in where my mom lives- the muffins seemed to be a hit!)

Here's the link to the original recipe/idea: King Arthur Flour Inside-Out Carrot Cake Muffins

notes for what I did:
-I put my cream cheese filling on top- this worked fine but if I do it this way again I will probably beat an egg into the cream cheese mixture so that it sinks into the cupcake better.
-I used at least 1.5 times as much carrots as the recipe called for.
-I was able to make more than 13 muffins- just adjust your cooking time for different amounts or sizes of muffins
-I did not read carefully enough and I did not grease my muffin cups- don't make the same mistake as me- yummy but hard to get the paper off!
-I added in about a cup of chopped walnuts at the end.
-I did not sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar, though I am sure that would be great- or even regular sugar would work, to give a little crust of sweetness

Mix together the wet ingredients, then add in all the dry ones and whisk well.
Once all is uniform, add in your grated carrot(s).
Then I added in some walnuts- not called for in the recipe but I love walnuts so there you go!
Here's the whipped up cream-cheese mixture (that I would add an egg to in some situations- makes it more cheesecakey then cream cheese icing-y)
Here are my muffins before the oven, not all are topped yet.
My muffins out of the oven- mine were more sort of self-icing carrot muffins, but making it into a filling would be equally great- that's what I'll do next time!




Savor it!

love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment