food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Grits Casserole

Hey there everyone-

This recipe comes with a backstory. Though not a native, I grew up mostly in the Bible-Belt-South, where grits are quite an easy commodity to come by. While I didn't eat too much southern food, being raised by transplanted northerners, I've been eating grits for as long as I can remember. I usually just whip up a serving and add enough cheddar cheese to make it orange- I like 'em cheesy! I didn't realize exactly the extent to which grits were a regional food until I moved clear across the country to the Pacific Northwest, where grits are not an easy thing to find.

I'd been hankering for some grits casserole, a strong southern standby, but couldn't find grits anywhere. I was even considering ordering some online!! But through a huge stroke of luck, the BF's mom sent me over a bag of grits she found (Thank You!!!), and I was in business. I kept it simple this time, just some straight up cheesy grits casserole, though you can take it a lot of different ways- add in some veggies or some fried up bacon or sausage- YUM!

The arsenal: I always use these ingredients as a base- though personally I can do without the Worcestershire- make them how you like it!
Boil your grits until thickened...
Then stir in your combined milk and eggs, and butter. Then stir in the cheese!
Pour grits into a greased 2qt baking dish, and bake 35-40 minutes, then let stand 10 minutes.


Grits Casserole
(note: feel free to add-in whatever you like- some sauteed veggies, some fried up sausage or bacon- go wild!)
-4 cups water
-1 cup grits
-1/2 teaspoon (and more to taste) salt
-1/2 cup milk
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 eggs, lightly beaten
-2+ cups cheddar cheese (I like mine reaaalllllyyy cheesy)
-just a sprinkle of cayenne and paprika
(optional: add in some crisped bacon or sausage- mix in before pouring into the baking dish)
Bring water to a boil. Stir in grits, boil 5-7 (or more) minutes, until thickened.
Stir in the milk, butter, and eggs (it's a good idea to mix these together beforehand- helps prevent the eggs scrambling!).
Stir in your cheese- as much as you dare. Season.
Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes, let stand 10 minutes before serving.


The finished grits casserole- nice and cheesy and slightly browned- enjoy!

Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment