food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)

Dutch Babies have been a staple in my family since long before I was born, and I've been eating them my whole life. They're not really pancakes at all, but a thin batter baked up in the oven that puffs up beautifully. When my mom and I get hungry, we like to whip these up for a quick and filling snack- we usually make them in individual sizes, though they can be made in one large pan and cut up as well. You can make these plain or add a fruit like apples, something we're big fans of. We use the recipe from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Let's get on to the recipe and pictures!


Here are the dutch babies (in 8'' and 9'' round pans), ready for the oven.


And here they are all baked up- see how puffy and beautiful they've become?


Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)
-3 eggs
-1/2 cup milk
-1/2 cup flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons butter
-apple slices (optional)
-lemon juice
-confectioner's sugar
Preheat oven to 450 F. Whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Whisk in the melted butter. Pour into greased pan(s) (about 3 8-9'' pans, or one big one). Add apple slices on top if desired.
Bake at 450 F for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for 10 more minutes (it will probably take less time for smaller pancakes, so keep an eye on them!).
Let cool slightly, then top with confectioner's sugar and lemon juice (if desired) and enjoy!



Here's my Dutch Baby, ready for eating!

Savor it!
love, rue

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This is a favorite of my families, too!! Though we've never done it with fruit, I may have to try that. I love that you posted the recipe from Fanny Farmer (AKA my Kitchen Bible!)

    ReplyDelete