food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Classic Sticky Buns

 A while back, I made some traditional sticky buns, and as I've blogged about lemon-curd sticky buns but not regular ones, I thought I'd fill you all in on how to make the classic sticky bun- one of my absolute favorite treats in the whole world (we usually only have them on Christmas morning, they're that special!)



Here are the sticky buns all baked up and ready to be turned out!


Sticky Bun Dough
-1 packet yeast
-1/4 cup lukewarm water
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 egg
-3 tablespoons butter
-3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-3/4 cup lukewarm milk

The recipe says to let rise twice. I'll also add my usual technique-
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water
Let the butter soften and the milk come to room temperature
Then just mix it all up and give it a few good kneads.
Place in a warm place in an oiled bowl, and after it has doubled in size, punch it down- repeat.
Once the rising is done, roll the dough out into a rectangle so that you can add the filling.

The Filling:
-cinnamon
-sprinkle of sugar
-drizzle of butter

In the pan (9'' x 13'' or equivalent(s)):
-molasses
-butter
-brown sugar
-corn syrup

And then bake them up at about 375 F or so, for about 45 minutes- just keep an eye on them and take them out when they're nice and browned on the top! My goal with food is to be fun and flexible, so don't worry if you mess up or if you've even never tried something before. Precise measurements and techniques aren't really my thing, so take my ideas and give them your own spin- these rolls have a myriad of options in terms of filling, and make a fantastic breakfast treat- my housemates were delighted when I made these!



And here they are turned out- sticky and sugary and delicious! Sorry I didn't take more pictures, they ended up being gobbled up a bit too fast for that!

Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment