food isn't any good unless you have some fun!

come on in and enjoy!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

Recently we've had a glut of beautiful looking blueberries in the store (even up here in Ohio), and I've been eating them by the handful. But, as usual, I just had to bake something with them as well. I made some very simple and plain blueberry muffins that can be altered to be pretty much any kind of muffin you like, whether it be by changing the filling, adding a topping, or making them whole wheat. So I'll tell you what I did, and what I might do differently!


Here's the batter and the blueberries- I tossed the blueberries with a little flour so they wouldn't sink in the batter so much.


And here are the muffins in my mini-muffin tin. I love mini-muffins and cakes, but I also lack a regular sized muffin tin, so that's why everything's always miniature!


Blueberry Muffins
-2 eggs
-1 cup milk
-2/3 cup white or brown sugar
-1/2 cup vegetable oil (or applesauce)
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-2 cups flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 cup blueberries (or other add-in)
Mix the wet ingredients, then add the dry and stir until just mixed (do not over stir!), then throw in your add-in, the blueberries in this case.
Bake at 400 F for about 17 minutes for regular sized muffins, and 12-15 for mini muffins.

To make these even better, I might add a little sprinkle of sugar on top to get a nice crust, or make a streusel topping! Try substituting some of the oil with applesauce to make a healthier muffin as well. Feel free to experiment- these are pretty much a blank canvas. Even think in savory muffin directions- cut down the sugar and add cheese and sausage for breakfast muffins, or something like that!



And here are the finished muffins- they were delicious so enjoy!

Savor it!
love, rue

No comments:

Post a Comment